Breaking News
DHQ Summons Soldiers Who Left Kebbi School Hours Before Abduction of 26 Girls
Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters has summoned soldiers who left their post shortly before terrorists abducted 26 schoolgirls in Kebbi State. The probe aims to uncover who ordered the withdrawal as Governor Idris pushes for accountability amid renewed security concerns.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) in Abuja has questioned all soldiers assigned to protect the Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School in Maga, Danko/Wasagu LGA of Kebbi State, on the day terrorists abducted 26 students.
A military source told Vanguard that the inquiry aims to determine who authorised the troops’ withdrawal shortly before the attack. “They have been moved to Abuja as part of the investigation,” the source said.
On November 17, armed attackers stormed the school, killed the Vice Principal, Malam Hassan Makuku, and kidnapped 26 schoolgirls—two of whom later escaped. The timing of the attack, which occurred soon after the soldiers reportedly left their duty post, sparked public outrage. Governor Nasir Idris and other Nigerians have demanded an immediate probe.
The incident has revived national trauma linked to previous mass school abductions, including the Chibok tragedy.
District Head Describes Withdrawal
The District Head of Maga, Muhammad Dantani, confirmed that troops were at their post around midnight, but investigations later revealed they departed around 1 a.m.
He said:
“Around midnight, I called to confirm whether the soldiers were still at their post and was told they were. But unknown to us, they left around 1 a.m., just shortly before the attack began. We still don’t know who gave the order or why they withdrew.”
Dantani added that the police did not engage the attackers because they were outnumbered and heavily outgunned.
“With the army absent, the police felt engaging the bandits would be suicidal,” he said, noting that the attackers operated freely between 1:30 a.m. and 3:30 a.m.
Girls Regain Freedom
The Kebbi State Government later announced that all 24 remaining schoolgirls had been safely released, crediting Governor Idris for playing a major role in securing their freedom.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Defence, Mohammed Badaru Abubakar, assured Nigerians that the Armed Forces are making progress toward defeating banditry nationwide, despite recent spikes in school abductions.
Opinion Nigeria News
